Nick Diaz returning in early 2021; BetOnline posts odds on opponent
ESPN’s Ariel Helwani reported Sunday (9/6) that Nick Diaz recently completed a 14-week training camp and cut weight for the first time in four years.
Diaz’s manager, Kevin Mubenga, told Helwani that Diaz is “100 percent” planning to make his UFC return with early 2021 as the targeted date range.
According to Helwani, Diaz currently weighs somewhere in the 165-175 range.
BetOnline didn’t waste much time in posting a proposition wager on who the former Strikeforce welterweight champion will face first.
Those odds look like this:
Jorge Masvidal +300 (risk $100 to win $300)
Robbie Lawler +350
Conor McGregor +400
Carlos Condit +450
Mike Perry +700
Darren Till +800
Anderson Silva +900
I’m not sure why the offshore shop would open Masvidal as the favorite, especially after UFC President Dana White said last week that a BMF rematch between ‘Gamebred’ and Nick’s younger brother, Nate, was being targeted for late December or early January.
Diaz hasn’t fought since dropping a unanimous decision to Silva at UFC 183 on Jan. 31 of 2015. The result was later changed to a no-contest after Silva tested positive for a pair of performance-enhancing drugs (androsterone and drostanolone).
The 37-year-old Diaz hasn’t won a fight since beating B.J. Penn via UD at UFC 137 on Oct. 29 of 2011. Diaz owns a 26-9 career record with two no-contests.
The Stockton, California, native is 7-6 with one no-contest in 14 career UFC appearances. He has notable career wins over the likes of Chris Lytle, Jeremy Jackson (twice), Robbie Lawler, Gleison Tibau, Frank Shamrock, KJ Noons and Paul Daley.
If I was the matchmaker and both parties were into it, I think the best scrap would be for Nick to take on Matt Brown.