Ouch! Lawler pulls out of UFC 205 fight vs. ‘Cowboy’
Published on Monday, 9/12/16, at 12:34 p.m. Eastern.
There was a ton of excitement generated last week when UFC President Dana White confirmed on a Cleveland radio station that former welterweight champ ‘Ruthless’ Robbie Lawler would fight Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone on the main card of UFC 205 at Madison Square Garden in New York City on Nov. 12.
However, the bout has been scrapped because Lawler decided to pull out.
Cerrone faced the media in Cleveland on Saturday night after UFC 203.
When asked if he wanted to still fight at MSG, Cerrone said, “Fuck yeah. I wanted to fight tonight (at UFC 203).”
Cerrone said that Lawler personally called him and asked to meet up with him and informed him face to face that wasn’t going to be able to fight.
According to multiple reports and what Cerrone indicated, Lawler feels like he needs more time to recover from his KO loss to Tyron Woodley.
Cerrone told the media, “He’s got some shit going on. He’s note one to just now show up and fight.”
When asked if he was mad at Lawler, Cerrone said, “No, he’s still a friend of mine. He’s one of the good guys. He’s one of the last of a dying breed. He’s not one to just not show up and fight/ Robbie’s such a stud. That’s a fighter’s fight – it would have been so fun. He loves to just stand and throw down.”
Cerrone confirmed to the media that he’d be glad to fight Georges St. Pierre at UFC 205.